Plug Load Controller (PLC) FAQ
- Does the Plug Load Controller need to hear back from all of the sensors in the motion group? How does it work since PLCs send a heartbeat and get a response from sensors in the group?
- Can the Plug Load Controller be used for lighting loads?
- Can the Plug Load Controllers be installed separately from the load they are controlling?
- Are the wires on the Plug Load Controller Aluminium? And why?
- Is there a screen in Manage that shows the Energy savings from the Plug Load Controller?
- What needs to be done when there is no power at the controlled outlet outages of a Plug Load Controller?
- Where is the Plug Load Controller profile set up in Manage?
- Is an audit required prior to ordering the Plug Load Controller for an existing Enlighted system?
- Do the Plug Load Controllers integrate with any generation Enlighted system?
- Are there any recommended solutions for Smart Ground Fault Interrupter?
Does the Plug Load Controller need to hear back from all of the sensors in the motion group? How does it work since PLC sends a heartbeat and gets a response from sensors in the group?
Plug Load Controller needs to hear from only one sensor and does not need to hear from all sensors in the group. As long as the PLC gets a response from one sensor, it will maintain its current state or time out if there is no occupancy. Since PLCs need only one sensor for communication, every sensor in the group does not need to have good communication with every PLC.
Can the Plug Load Controller be used for lighting loads?
The PLC is rated for lighting loads up to 16A. Contact Enlighted Support for additional information.
Can the Plug Load Controllers be installed separately from the load they are controlling?
PLC should be installed within the gateway's wireless range and close to any sensor of the group they belong to. Ideally, PLCs are installed near the outlet or load they control, and they must be wired properly to the outlet.
Are the wires on the Plug Load Controller Aluminium? And why?
These copper wires are "tinned" with solder to keep the strands together for solid conductivity when wire nutted.
Is there a screen in Manage that shows the Energy savings from the Plug Load Controller?
In Manage, select a floor in the Facilities left panel and click the Energy Consumption tab. Choose All PLCs or Managed PLCs from the View dropdown list to view the PLC energy savings.
What needs to be done when there is no power at the controlled outlet outages of a Plug Load Controller?
If there is no power at the controlled outlet of the PLC,
- Check the LED on the PLC. If the green LED is not on, then the PLC is powered off.
- If the power is off, verify that the junction box has input power. If the input power exists, it means that the PLC is turned off and not working. During installation, the PLCr may have been improperly wired. However, this should have been found during installation or commissioning.
Enabling the power to the PLC:
- Double-click the PLC icon on the floor plan to display the Plug Load Details pop-up.
- Click the On button in the Manual control and check if there is power at the controlled outlet.
- Click the Auto button to reinstate the PLC back in Auto mode.
If the problem persists, ensure that the PLC belongs to a motion group and verify that fixtures are set up as Report Only or Both. If fixtures are set up as Act Only, the PLC will not receive any motion information from the fixture, and hence, will retrieve to its safety mode ‘off.’
If the wiring of the PLC is an issue, then obtain the help of an electrician to check the PLC wiring. If there is no problem with the wiring, then order a new PLC device. Contact Enlighted Support for information.
Where is the Plug Load Controller profile set up in Manage?
In Manage, select PLC Profile Template in the left panel. Select a profile template and click the Create button or select an existing profile instance and click the Edit button to edit the template.
The PLC profile screen is displayed as shown.
Is an audit required prior to ordering the Plug Load Controller control for an existing Enlighted system?
Prior to ordering Plug Load Controllers, the Electrical Contractor should confirm that the controlled circuit does not exceed 20A and identify the mounting locations of the PLC. The PLCs are plenum-rated and are intended to be mounted to the outside of an electrical junction box (J-Box) knockout.
Additionally, install the PLC closer to the group of sensors belonging to a motion group and nearer to the Gateway it will be associated with. If the PLC is not part of a motion group, it should still be placed within the Gateway range.
Do the Plug Load Controller integrate with any generation Enlighted system?
Yes, the PLCs can be integrated with Manage, Enterprise Manage, and Manage in the Cloud (EMC).
Are there any recommended solutions for Smart Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI)?
The Plug Load Controller does not perform any GFI function. However, It can be used with a GFI device wired in the traditional way to achieve GFI protection for the outlet or the branch circuit supplied by the GFI device. The PLC behaves as a switch on the controlled outlet and does not connect to the safety ground. Therefore, it will not have any adverse impact on the GFI protection device operation.