BACnet is a communications standard that allows different systems and devices manufactured by different vendors to interoperate within an intelligent building. The Enlighted Lighting BACnet/IP module provides seamless integration between the Enlighted lighting system and any BACnet® compatible Building Management System (BMS).
The BACnet/IP is a license-enabled software available for on-premise Manage servers, allowing access to the lighting control features such as dimming, emergency overrides, Demand Response (DR), and occupancy at the area level. The BMS with BACnet/IP capability can smoothly integrate, monitor, manage, and control the Enlighted lighting system through Group and Individual points, configured as described in the following sections. The lighting information is shared with BACnet clients at every five-minute interval.
Refer to the following articles to understand the network topology options available in Manage that support BACnet, types of BACnet licenses, and how to obtain and install a BACnet license.
Configuring BACnet Points
The BACnet/IP interface provides the following lighting group and individual points to integrate with the BMS. Manage represents the physical or virtual server, which includes all sensors and areas. An area is a grouping of sensors on a floor. Before you start configuring BACnet points, you need to
After the devices (sensors, plugloads) are assigned to an area, the area becomes available as an area object in BACnet. The BACnet IP polls Manage every five minutes to obtain data for all points.
Note: For Area occupancy, you must enable the sensors in the area to be zonal sensors. Refer to the article Enable Zonal Sensors in the area. The BACnet Area group point will then report the occupancy status as occupied or unoccupied. See section BACnet Group Point License (BAC-GP-AREA-00).
Select Administration -> BACnet Configuration, and check the Enable BACnet checkbox to start or stop BACnet.
Obtain the following BACnet server details from your IT group, edit the information as needed:
- Area Base Instance – The BACnet base address used by the devices in the area.
- Area Manual Override Duration – Controls the light levels in an area for the specified time in minutes; the value must be a whole number. It specifies the duration for how long the lights will stay in manual override mode if their value is changed using the BACnet group point “Area Lighting Control.” After the manual override duration, the lights return to their normal operating mode based on their profile.
Note: Profile Ramp-up time affects overrides be it API or BACnet commands.
- Listen Port – The port registered to receive BACnet commands.
- Manage Base Instance – The BACnet base address used by the devices on the floor.
- Listen Port – The port registered to receive BACnet commands.
- Network ID – Unique network ID for BACnet.
- Vendor ID – Enlighted BACnet vendor ID. This is a non-editable field.
After editing the information in the fields, click the Submit button.
Note: Refer to the Enlighted Lighting BACnet PICS to understand the BACnet points supported by the BACnet/IP module.
After you have purchased and installed the BACnet licenses, configure the BACnet interface, as explained below.
1. BACnet Base License (BAC-BS-SU-00)
This license is required anytime BACnet is enabled in Manage. System compliance is determined by evaluating the quantity of Base Licenses installed, and active against the quantity of Enlighted Gen 5, or newer, sensors commissioned on the system. BACnet Base license (BAC-BS-SU-00) grant users the privilege to read or write the following BACnet points:
- Manage Energy Consumed - Lighting – Reports the total energy consumption in Watt-hour over the last 15 minutes for all lights.
- Manage Energy Consumed - Plugload – Reports the total energy consumption in Watt-hour over the last 15 minutes for all plugloads.
- Manage Demand Response (DR) Level – Displays the sensitivity level to respond to a DR event.
- DR Duration – This is an additional point that is displayed for DR duration in the BACnet Configuration report. The Building Management System (BMS) sends the DR duration value to Enlighted Manage when a Demand Response event is triggered. The value defaults to ‘xx' minutes as configured in the Area Manual Override Duration field.
- Manage Emergency Status – Displays Emergency On/Off status in the building. Emergency On/Off shows the emergency status of all lights in the building.
- 0: Emergency Status Off – Lights in the area switch to Auto mode light levels based on their lighting profile.
- 1: Emergency Status On – Lights are set to a maximum level of 100%.
- Gateway Outage Count – Number of gateways not currently communicating with the system.
BACnet Group Point License (BAC-GP-AREA-00)
Group points provide aggregate metering data and control points for a group of sensors. Group points are available for areas on the floor plan. Compliance is determined based on the quantity of Group Point Licenses (BAC-GP-AREA-00) installed and active against the quantity of areas multiplied by the quantity of area group points enabled.
An area is a grouping of sensors on a floor. To assign an area on the floor, refer to the article Adding an Area. When an area is assigned, it is available as an Area object in BACnet. Group Point Licenses grant users the privilege to read or write the following BACnet points:
- Area Consumed Energy (Lighting) – Reports the total energy consumption in Watt-hour for all lighting fixtures in the area over the last 15 minutes.
- Area Consumed Energy (Plugload) – Reports the total energy consumption in Watt-hour for all plugloads in the area over the last 15
- Area Occupancy Status – Reports occupied or unoccupied status of the area. The occupancy status values are as follows:
0: Unoccupied in an area
- Area Emergency Status On/Off – Emergency On/Off shows the emergency status of an area.
0: Off – Lights in the area switch to Auto light levels based on their lighting profile.
1: On – Lights in the area are set to a maximum level of 100%.
- Area Lighting Control – Controls light levels for the number of minutes specified in the AreaManualOverrideDuration field.
0: Lights off
1 - 99: Dim level
100: Lights full on
101: Auto behavior – Normal light level for a commissioned fixture based on its profile.
Note: When the AreaManualOverideDuration is set,
- Fixtures in manual override mode will not perform task-tuning, daylight harvesting, or time-schedule change.
- Fixtures continue to respond to Enlighted Room Control (ERC) switch events, and
- Fixtures in a motion group will not respond to motion but will generate motion group events for other fixtures in the group.
- The Profile Ramp-up time affects override commands issued via API or BACnet. The override command will take effect after the ramp-up time set in the profile ends. Ramp-up time is the length of time to change a light that is off to its required light level value. For example, when the value is 10 in the profile, a light that is off will be brought up to the needed light level after 10 seconds during an override. For more information, see Understanding Light Profiles.
- Area Override – Activates Holiday Override Profile as configured in Manage for ‘xx' minutes specified in the Area Manual Override Duration field.
Note: You must select the Holiday Override option in the Advanced menu. Refer to the Configure Demand Response and Holiday Behavior Advanced menu to select a Holiday Override Profile from the General Behavior window's drop-down box.
- Switch Group Scene Control – Triggers a group of fixtures to a preconfigured scene based on Scene ID for one hour.
Note: Make sure to select the Holiday Override from the Holiday Override Profile drop-down box in the profile’s Advanced menu.
2. BACnet Individual Point License (BAC-SP-SU-00)
Individual points provide metering data and control points for individual fixtures and plugload devices. Compliance is determined based on the quantity of Individual Point Licenses (BAC-SP-SU-00) installed and active against the quantity of areas multiplied by the quantity of Enlighted 5th generation, or newer, sensors commissioned on the system. Individual Point Licenses grant users the privilege to read or write to the following BACnet points:
- Fixture Consumed Energy – Shows energy consumed in Watt-hour by the fixture over the last 15 minutes.
- Fixture Dim Level – Displays the current dim light output level of the fixture. By changing this value, you can set the fixture dim output level to the desired level. The levels range from 0 to 100% (Off to Full on).
- Fixture Temperature – Displays the current temperature of the fixture.
- Plugload Energy Consumption – Shows both the managed and unmanaged energy consumed in Watt-hour by the plugload over the last 15 minutes. Managed energy includes energy consumed by appliances such as fans and monitors that need not be powered on when there are no occupants. Plug these types of appliances into managed plugload outlets for automatic shutoff. Unmanaged energy includes energy consumed by appliances that need to be powered all the time to provide uninterrupted service.
- Plugload Status – This shows the status of the managed plugload. By changing the value, the plugload can be set to on or off.
0: Plugload Off
1: Plugload On
3. Viewing the BACnet Configuration Report
The report displays the points selected for BACnet group points for Base and Area points. BACnet generates the Device ID, Name, and Instance ID. Click the Download Excel button to download the records in .csv format. Click the Download EDE button to download the detailed records of all the BACnet entries in a zipped format.