This article describes the procedure for upgrading Gateway (GW) devices running Application versions 2.6.x and above for Energy Manager versions before 3.7.
Note: Upgrade Gateways before upgrading the Energy Manager to 3.7 and higher. If upgrading Gateways from Firmware before version 2.8, Energy Manager versions 3.7 and higher require additional steps to temporarily disable security enhancements (Refer to Instructions for allowing EM3.7.1 to Discover, Upgrade, and Communicate with Gateway Firmware below 2.8).
The Gateway firmware image upgrade process requires three steps:
- Determine the Gateway Application version
- Upload the Gateway Image
- Upgrade the Gateway Image
1. Determine the Gateway Application Version
To determine which release runs on your gateway, login to Energy Manager (EM) GUI using HTTPS://<EM_IP_address_or_hostname> in a web browser with your username and password.
Figure 1: Energy Manager Sign In
- Select a floor in the Facilities Left panel.
- Select Facilities > Devices > Gateways. The list of gateways on the floor is displayed.
- Select a Gateway and click Edit.
Figure 2: Select Gateways
This will result in the Gateway Details window. The Gateway Details window identifies the current Application and Firmware versions running on the Gateway device. Note the Application version and Firmware version running on the Gateway.
Figure 3: Gateway Details
Note: The Application version in this example is 2.6.1, and the Firmware version is 2.8.20. Depending on the combination of these two, you will need to upgrade the Gateway until the required application and firmware version for the image is displayed.
Download Gateway Image File
- If your Gateway has an Application Version earlier than v2.6.1, Gateway updates are not possible. Return the Gateway to Enlighted for replacement.
- If your Gateway has Application v2.6.1 or v2.6.2, an intermediate upgrade to v2.6.3 is required prior to any further updates. Download 3538_gw.tar, upgrade the Gateway to Application v2.6.3 and proceed to the next step.
- If your Gateway has an Application version between 2.6.3 and 2.8.34, then upgrade the Gateway with 4033_gw.tar. This is an intermediate update, and after this update, the Firmware version should be 2.8.21.b4027.
- Upload the final 2.8.36 Gateway build (4034_gw.tar) and upgrade the Gateway to Application version 2.8.36.b4075.
|Current App Ver on GW||Current FW Ver on GW||Use Image File||Description|
|Earlier than 2.6.1||̶||̶||Return the device to Enlighted|
|2.6.1 or 2.6.2||̶||3538_gw.tar||This image will upgrade the GW from Application Version 2.6.1 to Application Version 2.6.3|
|2.6.3 b2742||2.6.3 b2742||4033_gw.tar||4033_gw.tar is the intermediate image file that will upgrade the GW to App Version:2.8.34 b4072 and FW Version: 2.6.3 b2742.
Note: This intermediate image file does not change the Firmware Version.
|2.8.34 b4072||2.6.3 b2742||4034_gw.tar||4034_gw.tar will upgrade the GW to App Version: 2.8.36 b4075 and FW Version: 2.8.21 b4027.|
Note: After each image upgrade, confirm that the Gateway Details window, Figure 3, shows the updated Application version and Firmware version of the image.
2. Upload Gateway Image
Only the System Administrator can upload and upgrade image files running on a Gateway.
- Log in as an Administrator to the Energy Manager, HTTPS://<EM_IP_address_or_hostname> with your username and password.
Figure 4: Energy Manager Sign In
- After you are logged in, navigate to Administration > Image Upgrade.
- In the Image Upgrade screen, click Choose File to upload the image file to EM.
- Click the Upload to EM.
The following screen shows the Image Upgrade screen when the Administration > Image Upgrade is selected:
Figure 5: Upload Gateway Image
If you have more than one Gateway image file to be uploaded, repeat the process until all image files are uploaded.
3. Upgrade the Gateway Image
Before upgrading the Gateway image, turn off the sensors' BLE scan mode. By default, the BLE scan mode is set to off. But, if it was turned on, you can turn it off at Facility > floor plan View: Bluetooth Mode. Select all sensors, right-click, Set BLE Mode, Off. For more information, see Set Bluetooth (BLE) Mode.
To upgrade the Gateway image file,
- In the Image Upgrade window, click Upgrade.
- In the Facilities left panel, select a floor.
- Select the Gateway tab from the list of devices: Sensor, Gateway, ERC, Plugload.
- On the floor plan, choose one or more Gateways running the same Application Version to upgrade.
- Click the button to add the selected Gateways to the table. This step can be repeated.
- Select the image file from the Select a Gateway Image drop-down list.
- Click Start Upgrade to initiate the upgrade process.
- Check the status of the upgrade process by clicking Image Job History.
- For Gateways located on another facility item, repeat steps 2 – 8.
The following screen shows the above steps, which are performed on the Image Upgrade screen:
Figure 6: Gateway Image Upgrade
To check the status of the upgrade process, click Devices > Gateways within the Facilities display:
Figure 7: Gateway Upgrade Status
The Upgrade Status is displayed as Success or Fail.
- Success — Gateway upgrade is successful.
- Fail — Gateway upgrade failed.
If the status is displayed as Fail, verify the Application version and Firmware version in the Gateway Details window. Refer to section 1. Determine the Gateway Application Version to get to the Gateway Details window.
In the Gateway Details window, click the Reboot button to reset Gateway, and wait for five minutes. Open the Gateway Details window again and verify the Application version and Firmware version.
Figure 8: Gateway Details
If the Application version shows the updated image version number, the Gateway upgrade process is complete. Otherwise, repeat the upgrade procedure described in Upgrade the Gateway Firmware Image.
If the Gateway is not upgraded, check the Last Communication field in the Gateway Details window above. If the Gateway has not been communicating with the EM for several hours, troubleshoot the Gateway connectivity with Energy Manager or contact Enlighted Support.
The process described in this document should be repeated for all Gateways that are running Application version 2.6.x until all Gateways are updated to 2.8.36 and above.